Most of the damage on typical can be traced to everyday wear and tear. It may seem then that preventing damage to your rug falls into the category of the impossible, but that’s not the case. There are several things you can do to minimize damage from wear and tear and we’ll go into a few of them below.
Keeping Contemporary Rugs in Toronto Looking Like New
Obviously the best way to prevent your rugs from ever being damaged is to not walk on them. For most people that is simply not an option. So, what can you do to prevent your beautiful rug from becoming a casualty of common foot traffic?
- Rotate Your Rug – You’d be amazed how many people don’t think of doing this but simply rotating your rugs on a regular basis can go a long way toward extending their life. When you rotate your rug, you spread out the wear and prevent traffic lanes from becoming permanent features of the rug.
- Don’t Wear Shoes in the House – We wind up making this recommendation a lot because folks will walk on their new rugs with hard-heeled shoes and then wonder why the rugs look like they’ve been in a fight. Encourage people to remove their shoes before walking on the carpet and see what a difference it makes.
- Avoid Placing Heavy Furniture on the Rug – Heavy furniture is notorious for leaving permanent indentations in rugs that are really more like scars. Once there, there is no getting rid of them. Move the furniture on a regular basis or do the same with the rug. Or better yet spread the weight of the furniture using caster cups.
- Underlie Your Rug – Don’t lay your beautiful contemporary rugs on Toronto hardwood, concrete or stone floors. Put down a layer of sponge rubber, felt or foam first. This simple approach can add years to the life of your rugs by preventing abrasion.
- Check for Bugs – Carpets with a high wool or silk content will often attract hungry bugs. Check under your rugs several times a year to see if they are under siege from the insect world. If they are, you’ll likely see insect droppings, holes and other telltale signs and you’ll need to call in a carpet service to get rid of them.
Weavers Plus has one of the largest selections of contemporary rugs in Toronto. Drop by our showroom to see for yourself and to talk with one of our rug experts about purchasing a new rug for your home or to avail yourself of one of our services.